Diana oder der sich rächende Cupido
(Diana or The Avenging Cupid)
Hamburg 1712 – 1724
The 2018 edition of Génération Baroque offers a session of dramatic and musical work on the presentation, for the first time in France,() of a new show based on Keiser’s opera Diana or The Avenging Cupid.
Auditions held in Strasbourg, Paris, Frankfurt and Basel will give young musicians already launched on a professional career or completing their postgraduate studies in conservatories the opportunity to combine their talents in performing this original work by a composer as fascinating as he is neglected.
The session will be held in two phases: 2-9 May and 8-18 November 2018. It will include a period of musical and stage training for the singers and end with a series of performances in various venues in the Grand Est region.
Musicalisches Schau-Spiel in three acts by Reinhard Keiser to a libretto by Johann Ulrich von König, partly after Francesco de Lemene’’s Endimione; first performed in Hamburg, Theater am Gänsemarkt, 9 July 1724.
The goddess Diana, sworn enemy of love, threatens with death any of her followers who succumb to that emotion. To prove his power, Cupid (soprano) shoots her with one of his arrows, and she falls madly in love with Endymion, a beautiful young man she finds sleeping in the woods. Another arrow wounds her disciple Aurilla (soprano), who also develops a passion for Endymion, spurning the pleas of the lovesick Tirsis. Endymion, however, has no interest in either lady and constantly searches for his lost love Dorinda. After various absurd misunderstandings, it is finally revealed that Dorinda is his dog. The ‘comic hunter’ Sylvano (tenor), having captured Cupid in his net like a bird, offers him to Diana, and Cupid persuades her to release him in exchange for making Endymion love her. Aurilla, previously turned into a tree by Diana for loving Endymion, is freed and happily united with Tirsis.
(Synopsis: John H. Roberts)
The Avenging Cupid, one of the most appealing works of this great composer (too little performed nowadays, he was a model for Telemann and Handel), is for Génération Baroque, after Cimarosa’s L’Italiana in Londra and the intermezzi of Telemann and Pergolesi, a chance to present, in its fresh and relaxed manner, a new episode of the amorous imbroglios so typical of the Baroque era.
Forces required (trainees)
- Cupido: soprano
- Diana: soprano
- Aurilla: soprano
- Endimione: alto (preferably male)
- Tirsis: baritone
- Silvano: tenor
- double bass or violone in D
- harpsichordist/ trainee répétiteur
- Musical and overall director: Martin Gester
- Stage director: Benjamin Prins
- Scenography: Anita Fuchs
- Vocal coach: TBC
Conditions of participation
Candidates will be auditioned, and a selection will be made on the basis of quality of performance, motivation, musical and dramatic suitability for the roles offered, and age.
An indispensable condition is a commitment to be available for all dates of the session (NB the period varies for singers, continuo and orchestra).
Four dates and venues are proposed for auditions. Candidates who find it impossible or extremely difficult to participate in one of them may send recordings with a similar program (below): video (maximum 720p) for singers, audio (MP3) or video for instrumentalists.
Closing date for application submissions
- 3 days before the chosen audition
- 25 March 2018 if sending recordings
Auditions in France, Germany and Switzerland:
- Frankfurt, Dr Hoch’s Konservatorium – Wednesday 28 February 2018
- Basel, Schola Cantorum Basiliensis – Saturday 3 March 2018
- Strasburg, Cité de la Musique – Monday 5 March 2018
- Paris, Conservatoire National Supérieur de Musique – Tuesday 6 March 2018
Final list of participants announced on 2 April 2018
First residence in Amilly (about 150 km from Paris) from 2 to 9 May 2018 (singers, harpsichordists, violin, cello: musical and stage rehearsals and concluding concert/showcase).
Second residence at « Le Couvent – Sarrebourg » (Lorraine) from 8 to 15 November 2018 (singers and continuo), 10 to 15 November 2018 (instrumental ensemble)
Three or four performances in Lorraine, Alsace, Germany from 15 to 18 November 2018
- All participants’ expenses are paid throughout the session EXCEPT return travel from their place of residence, for which they are responsible.
- The concert/showcase of 9 May and the first two November performances are part of the training. From the third concert onwards, artists will be paid a fee to be fixed at a later date.
Programme of the audition (live or, in case, by video/audio file)
Two arias by Keiser, Handel, Telemann, A. Scarlatti or similar for voice with harpsichord accompaniment:
- in contrasting characters
- one in German, one in Italian
- one of the arias to be preceded by a substantial recitative
- if obbligato instrument(s) required, participants must come with the relevant musician(s), otherwise the part(s) will be played on the harpsichord.
NB to ensure the best conditions for the audition, please send pdf copies of the accompaniments by email in advance. Singers may bring their own accompanist.
Option: we will place at singers’ disposal copies of selected arias that will give them an idea of the roles and which they may present for audition if they wish (but this is not in any way compulsory).
Maximum ten minutes of music (repeats optional)
- strings: two or three contrasted movements from a fantasia, sonata or partita for unaccompanied violin, viola or cello (Telemann, Bach etc.) and one or two movements with continuo in a similar style (Corelli, Biber, Handel etc.)
- double bass or violone: please consult us
- harpsichord and theorbo: two pieces or excerpts from cantatas, including at least one recitative – please come with a melody instrument or singer if possible. If necessary, please consult us
Priority is given to candidates aged thirty or less, but exceptions are possible.
Please click here
Deadline to file the applications: 3 days before the chosen audition date
or to Le Parlement de Musique – 17 Grand’Rue – F-67000 STRASBOURG
NB : in case of audition, sending record is not obligatory.
If you are anable to attend the audition: sending files with records before March 25th 2018
For more informations
- E-mail: email@example.com
 The work was presented in Belgium in 2003 by Flanders Opera, under the musical direction of Florian Heyerick and in a production by Gabriele Rech. We thank them for making the score available to us.